Sunday, February 3, 2013

Fry Bread Recipe (And Shoes)


I've had a few requests for the recipe for the fry bread, so here it is, with my changes.









Cherokee Indian Fry Bread

2 C flour
1/2 C dry milk powder (I don't use this.  See note at the bottom).
2 t baking powder
1 t salt
1 T lard or Crisco (you could probably just use butter).
3/4 C warm water (see note at the bottom).
Cooking oil for frying.

NOTE:  (Instead of using powdered milk and water, I just used a scant cup of regular milk, warmed for a few seconds in the microwave).

Stir together flour, dry milk powder (if using), baking powder and salt.  Cut in lard/Crisco/butter until mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs.  (Mine never did look like coarse bread crumbs).  Stir in water (or regular milk).  Turn out onto floured surface; knead to a smooth ball, 10 to 12 strokes.  Divide dough into 8 balls.  Cover and let rest 10 minutes.  On floured surface, roll each ball to a 6 inch circle.  With finger, make a hole in the center of each.  Deep fry, one at a time, in hot fat (400 degrees) until golden brown, about 1 1/2 minutes on each side.  Drain on paper towels.  Makes 8  (These are best served hot).

I fried mine in a large skillet, 3 at a time.  I didn't measure the oil, just poured in what I thought was enough.  It didn't cover the tops of the bread; I turned them after 1 1/2 minutes or so. I drained them on a couple layers of napkins, since I was out of paper towels.

You can eat them plain, or put butter, honey or jam on them.  You can sprinkle them with powdered sugar for a sweet treat.  Or, best of all, you can use them for Indian Tacos.  Just use the same ingredients you use for tacos.  For example, refried beans or black beans, cooked ground beef, pork or chicken, shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, jalapeno peppers, etc.).  Put your taco ingredients on the fry bread and wrap the bread around them like a taco.  Add salsa.  Yummy!

When I took the picture of my moccasins, Reece and Aubrey wanted me to take pictures of their shoes, too.  So here they are.  :o)
Aubrey's Boots


Reece's Crocs







2 comments:

Linda said...

I'd like to find some boots like that to fit me! They are fantastic!
That looks like how I make my fry bread too. It's been too long-- I need to make some.

Kalona said...

Linda, you can see by the worn toes that she loves those boots. She is a tomboy, but she loves shoes (and boots). Yeah, make some fry bread and have indian tacos for dinner. :o)