Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Fourth Round Is Finished.

(View of the sky from my hospital room window).

Finally got out of the hospital around noon today. This cycle of chemo was a unit of Rituxan, then 4 units of Ara-C, each taking 3 hours, with 12 hours in between units. So they didn't finish the last unit until early this morning from 4 to 7 AM. I tolerated it well, but have a new side effect I hadn't expected. My feet get cold and achy. I didn't connect it to the chemo, but looked on-line just now, and see that it is sometimes a side effect. So weird.

The great news is that my PET and CT scans look, in my doctor's words, "...really, really good, actually." :o) He showed them to me yesterday--the ones taken in April, and the ones taken this month, side by side. I could see how the lymph nodes have shrunk back to normal. My doctor said that looking at the scans he couldn't see any cancer. But I will still have to go through the whole chemotherapy regimen in order to be as sure as possible that all of the renegade cells are killed before going on to the stem cell transplant.

Just to recap, after the sixth round of chemo, they will harvest my hopefully healthy bone marrow (stem cells), then I'll be in the hospital for 6 days while they give me more very strong chemo treatments. Then right away they will give me back my healthy stem cells, which we hope will start producing strong, healthy cells right away and I'll be cured.

I spoke with one of the transplant team doctors yesterday, though, and he was not quite as upbeat and confident about a cure as my doctor. He said they can't call it a cure because mantle cell lymphoma is notorious for coming back. As I understand it, sometimes the cancerous mantle cells are so slow growing that they stay hidden and are hard to kill. So a few years down the road, they may start to grow quickly and I'll be right back where I started.

But that is the reason they are giving me the very strong 6 day chemo treatments just before the transplant--to go deep and kill as much as they can (without killing me). So I am holding onto my faith and praying that it is God's will that this be cured.

I'm sure the reason I felt so good last week is because the cancer cells are mostly gone, so my body was returning to normal. It makes it hard to go back for more chemo, knowing that it will make me sick again, but I'll continue my treatments hoping for a complete cure. I don't want it to come back!

Ron and I stopped at Mom's on the way home from the hospital, then came on home where I got to see our visiting grandchildren and get big hugs from all of them. They had fun swimming in the pool, despite the cloudy weather we're having from Hurricane Alex. They may not get a chance to swim again if we get the expected rain from the outer bands.

Sister and Katy were happy to see me. I played frisbee with them for awhile, and they couldn't get enough!

I'm happy to be home, grateful that I feel as well as I do, and so very thankful for all of your prayers and support!

9 comments:

Jennifer Mulkey said...

So glad you are doing so well. I left you a post on the last one about neuropathy with your feet. Wow, that's great news from your doc! You need to celebrate that :) We take our victories where we can ;) I know what you mean about starting to feel better. I did the same thing with my very last chemo. I just did NOT want to go do it. I hated it with every fiber of my being, but I also knew that I needed to do it, it was like insurance. But gosh I cried and everything before that last one, because I was finally starting to feel human again. Really partied after the last one was over :) And then a friend and I planned a chocolate party after everything was said and done. What a treat :) Everything had to be made from and with chocolate....YUM :)

Can't wait for the last one for you, and then you can have a chocolate party, or whatever else you like party :)

Many prayers ongoing here for you. God Bless,

Me :)

Kalona said...

Mmm....chocolate party!!!!!!1 That sounds yummy. :o) I'll look forward to that.

Thanks for the comment about my feet. I'll check with my doctor; have an appt. to see him on Monday. I'll mention the vitamin E and see if he has any other suggestions. It's not too bad--it kind of comes and goes--but it is uncomfortable.

Thank you for your continued prayers! Hugs!

Kori said...

Aunt Sharon -
That is good news from the doctor. I will keep praying for you. You are doing awesome. Hang in there. We love you so much!!!

Kalona said...

Thank you, Kori! Your prayers mean so much to me. Lots of love from all of us here. Give our Jonah a big squeeze for me.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sister ... I love to read your blog! It's such a great way to keep in touch & informed on how you are doing. I love to read what your friends are posting too. There are so many truly caring and wonderful people out there. I know God is so pleased to see the love his people have for each other. What a blessing! I'm so thankful for you Sharon. I'm praying! Love, Sandi

Evannnraee said...

Aunt Sharon ,
I JUST FOUND OUT.
I've tried calling you to see how you were doing..
No answer .
I found out yesterday .
You probably thought I wasent thinking about you.
I think about my Texas famiy allege time &get all depressed .
I miss you like crazy D:
even with no hair you are beautiful inside &out . <3
I love you so much .
You make me so happy when I'm with you.
You do anything for me.
I cannot stop thinking about you ... :(
I just want you to know I'm always gonna love you .
I'll always look at you the same as my favorite person ever (:
I LOVE YOU .
- evann

Kalona said...

Sandi, I love that you enjoy reading the blog. It's a good way to keep everyone informed all at the same time. :o) I know, I have been so amazed and blessed by the outpouring of love and caring from so many people, many of whom I've never met in real life. It's wonderful! I know that you are praying always. Thank you so much! I love you with all my heart.

Kalona said...

My sweet Evann,
You are so sweet! I never thought that you were not thinking of me. I know how much you love all of your family. Now that you know about the cancer, I hope you will pray for me, okay? Please don't worry about me. I'm doing well handling the chemo, and my doctors think I'm doing great. My faith is very strong, and I'm not afraid at all. I love you so much, sweetie! Hugs!!!!

Sarah Oldham said...

I like your no hair day cap! Clever and fun! I think you look terrific!
My sister and niece are in town so I have very little time for PC usage of late. Enjoying them a lot! I am glad you are nearing the end of this trial. I will pray that it is a complete recovery and you don't have to look this in the face again any time in the future. Hugs and prayers,
Sarah and family