Friday, June 4, 2010

James Dupre

I was listening to old songs tonight, and looked up Gene Watson on YouTube. I found his song I Never Go Around Mirrors, then clicked on what I thought was Keith Whitley's version of the same song. It turned out to be a cover of Whitley's version by a young Louisiana man named James Dupre. Oh. My. Goodness. He's wonderful!

James has been posting videos of himself singing on YouTube since 2007. The man can sing anything from Hootie and the Blowfish to Merle Haggard, but his old-fasioned country music is what I like best. He has the kind of deep, smooth voice that I love.

His YouTube videos are made in his home, and sometimes you can hear his children playing or crying in the background. It's very endearing.

It was inevitable that such a gifted singer would be "discovered," and James has been. Someone brought his videos to the attention of Ellen Degeneres, and he was recently featured on her TV show. He has also made an album in Nashville, and a couple of the songs were written by him. I hope that he isn't spoiled by the fame I'm certain is in his future.

James has a website where you can read his bio, listen to a song from his album, see his calendar and order the CD. Go to YouTube and watch and listen to his videos there, too. If you like Don Williams or Vince Gill, George Strait or Dwight Yoakum, you're sure to like James Dupre.

Turn off my Playlist to listen:


And one more (I want to post all 122 of them; they are that good):

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Wow! Love that voice. :)

Kalona said...

Kelly, yes, me too! Listen to some of his other songs--I like Pocket Full of Gold--reminds me of my dad. That was his favorite Vince Gill song to listen to when he stayed with us after that last Christmas. He would play it over and over. He would have loved James Dupre. I hope James is a huge success. I told Jason he should do the same thing--post videos of himself singing on YouTube. He also has that deep, mellow kind of voice.

Anonymous said...

Just to let you know - James Dupre is even nicer in person than he comes across on screen:) He has also signed a record contract.

Kalona said...

Thank you, Anonymous, for letting me know about the record contract. That is so exciting, and I'm really happy for James! I'll be praying for his music career, but even more that he is happy in his life. I'm glad to know that he is as nice as he seems in his videos--funny how that shines through. :o)