Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Long Day

What a day. I got to the hospital at 10 AM this morning for lab work and found out I was supposed to be there at 7:45 for two units of blood. No one had told me to come early, though. On Monday they told me to come in for lab work and wait to see if I would need a transfusion. So I went at my regular time, causing everyone to have to rush around.

I did
not want the transfusion. I feel weird about having other people's blood in my body. I don't like the idea. At all. They sent my vials of blood to the lab and the red blood count was 7.6. The doctor had said that if it was below 8 I'd need a transfusion, but I thought maybe since 7.6 is pretty close to 8, he might let me skip the transfusion.

The nurse said I could go downstairs and get something to eat since it would take about an hour to cross and match my blood. I stopped and called my doctor, hoping he would say the transfusion wasn't necessary. No such luck. He said that I had been symptomatic (dizziness and fatigue) on Monday, and that he had been fairly certain then that I'd need it. He said that I didn't
have to have it, but that it would make me feel much better. He reassured me about the safety of receiving blood, about the low chances of reactions, etc. He gently reminded me that we had talked about this at the beginning, that I might need blood transfusions at times during the treatment.

What I didn't tell
him is that I dismissed the idea of transfusions from my mind, thinking that I would not need them. I think part of the reason I hate the idea is that when my dad had leukemia, it was after he started having to have blood transfusions so often that his condition worsened. I know my situation is not quite the same, but it's a bad association for me.

I went downstairs with only $2 in my purse, thinking I'd get something from the vending machines, but once I got there I didn't want any of that. So I went to the chapel. I opened the doors and there was a Mass in progress! I got there right at the end and stayed to pray after everyone left. Took a picture of the altar and crucifix with my Iphone and then started to leave.








As I was leaving, I saw a bowl of hosts on a table near the door! I was so startled! Surely they are unconsecrated hosts, but it made me feel very distressed to see them there. What is the point of leaving out a dish of unconsecrated hosts? I wish there had been someone there to ask about it, but the priest had already left (walking out right past the dish of hosts), and no one was in the chaplain's office.

I went back upstairs to the treatment room, and a few minutes later my sweet doctor came in just to reassure me and give me some comfort. I told him that I felt better about the transfusion after talking with him. He showed me the consent form I'd signed with the risks outlined, and how unlikely it would be for anything negative to happen. I've never had a doctor who cares for his patients the way this doctor does. He is a blessing.

I called Kelly to see if she would bring me something to eat as I hadn't taken my debit card or much cash with me, and the transfusion was going to take four hours. She lives not too far from the hospital and was happy to come. She had lunch with me in the treatment room and we made everyone hungry because she brought chicken fajita nachos and they smelled so good. Kelly also took Gran's pills to her, and did the things I usually do when I am there. She is such a sweetheart and will do anything to help me out.

The transfusion went well, no problems at all. I left the hospital around 4 PM and went to Kel's to pick up Mom's pillbox and see Kelly's new puppy, Hunter. Oh what a cute little puppy she is! She's 3 months old and so playful and sweet.

Drove home in rush hour traffic and got here just in time to let the puppies in before it started pouring rain. It only lasted about 10 minutes, and now it's as steamy as a Brazilian jungle outside.

Ron is grilling steaks for dinner, and I have to make the baked potatoes and veggie, so guess I'd better get a move on.

11 comments:

H F J said...

That is startling about the hosts. I've prayed for them, just in case you know. I'm glad the transfusion went well.

I'll let J know you need a little extra prayer today. He prays every night for "Mrs. Sharon, my friend" so he won't mind doing an extra prayer. G is cute, she prays for "Mrs. Sharon, brother's friend." :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi, Keep looking up sweet sister. I'm thanking God for your doctor & for taking care of you. Love, Sandi

Anonymous said...

unconsecrated hosts.probably have people take one and put in another container before mass so fr. only consecrates exactly what is needed

Kalona said...

HFJ, please give J and G a big hug for me. I am so touched by their special prayers for me. And thank you for praying for the hosts. Another commenter has left a plausible explanation that has relieved my mind.

Sandi, thank you. I count on your prayers!

Anonymous #2, thank you so much for the explanation about the hosts. I've never seen that done, but it makes sense, and gives me peace.

Adrienne said...

I'm exhausted just reading about your day.

I second what anon said about the hosts. It does look funny to see little tongs in the dish, though. Sort of like a a dish of appetizers :-)

X said...

I concur with Anon - we have this setup at my parish. We walk in the main door and before we collect our missal and hymnal we must put breads in a ciborium so Father can consecrate them.

Before they are consecrated they are just called "breads." Afterward they are called "hosts."

Kalona, how are you feeling today after the transfusion?

Kalona said...

Adrienne and Angela, I do learn so much from my readers. Thank you for your comments about the "breads" and "hosts." "Appetizers" made me grin.

Angela, I do feel better today after the transfusion--a little more energy than before. I'm not so out of breath, and my heart isn't racing with the least exertion today. Yay! :o)

X said...

Hi Kalona,
I prayed for you at Adoration this evening.
Hugs, Angela

Kalona said...

Angela, thank you so much! I love that. Hugs!

Linda said...

The parish in which I was reared also had a bowl of hosts at the entrance so that there would be enough, but not too many, hosts consecrated.
Perhaps you were joking, Angela, but the 'bread' is called "hosts" before consecration. The Blessed Sacrament in the form of bread may also be referred to as "hosts" after.

Jennifer Mulkey said...

Glad you are feeling a little better after the transfusion. I can understand the feeling of it though. Had many friends who had to have them going through chemo. You remain in our prayers, rosaries being said for you on a regular basis :)

God Bless