Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A Simple Woman's Daybook

It's been a long time since I have written a daybook entry, so I think I'll write one today.

Outside my window...

It may not be officially summer, but it is summer here in South Central Texas. Trees and grass are lush and green, flowers are blooming, birds are singing, and it is hot.


I am thankful...

for the life I've lived and the life I'm living. I am blessed.

I am wearing...
denim capris, a dark brown smock top with little pleats in front, a black cap on my bald head, bare feet.

I am remembering...
summer when I was a kid:

playing in the field behind our duplex where they had torn out all of the old two-story four-plexes. We would flatten down the tall ragweed and make rooms connected by hallways and play house or school all day long.

Or we would climb the "airplane tree," which had a big horizontal branch to sit on and daydream.

We might walk or ride our bikes to the school and play on the empty playground.

Sometimes we would walk to another school, farther away, where there was a summer recreation program. There were lots of kids there, and we could play games, walk on stilts, jump on a trampoline.

We would run through the sprinkler in the backyard when it got too hot.

In the evening we would play kick the can or hide and seek or catch fireflies with all the neighborhood kids while our parents sat outside on the front porches. We would play until well after dark, when moms would start calling their children inside for baths and bed.

We had no air conditioner; the windows were open and a breeze would blow through the bedroom bringing in the scent of the honeysuckle on the back fence.

We didn't know we lived in what some people called a slum. It was home, and we were happy.

I am going...
I've been to the airport twice today. Ron had a flight out at 6:30, so had to be there at 5 AM. I dropped him off, came home and went back to bed. Just as I fell asleep the phone rang. There had been some sort of problem about his ticket, so I had to go back and get him. He got it all straightened out and left at 2:30 PM instead. Josh took him the next time, while I went to my mom's.

I am reading...
"Send Me Your Guardian Angel"--Padre Pio, by Fr Alessio Parente O.F.M CAP. The dear ladies from my Catholic board have been sending me cards, notes and gifts ever since they learned about my cancer. This book was sent by "Gracie," who has had cancer and knows first-hand the path I am traveling right now. She said that Padre Pio helped her through her chemo and recovery, and hopes he will do the same for me. She also sent a DVD about him, and some other wonderful things. I have been so blessed by the support and prayers of the DCF ladies! Thank you dear friends!

On my mind...
the last time I wrote a daybook entry was in March, just before we went to the coast on vacation with the family, and before I knew about the cancer. It was while we were there, the first week of April, that my glands began to swell and I knew that something was very wrong. When we returned home the following week, my whole world was turned upside down.

From the learning rooms...
we haven't had a chance to do much, although the last time Reece was here to spend the night (Friday) we did use the little pre-school workbook I got him a lot. He was very interested in it, for the first time.

Pondering these words...
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller
(From the Foreword of the Padre Pio book I mentioned above).

From the kitchen....
since Ron will be gone, I'll probably not cook much. Mostly grazing from whatever is in the fridge, pantry and cabinets.

Around the house...
the pool looks sparkling and inviting, the patio is shady, my hibiscus is blooming. The outdoors is calling my name.

One of my favorite things...
babies at Mass.

A picture to share...
To read more daybooks please visit Peggy's site.

2 comments:

Sarah Oldham said...

Such a cutie and sweet picture!!!!
I really enjoy reading the Day Books. Very glad you are back to writing them.

Hugs and Aloha!

Kalona said...

Thank you, Sarah!