Saturday, April 5, 2008

Scott Hahn

Today Ron and I went to a lecture by Dr. Scott Hahn at the Oblate School of Theology in San Antonio. Dr. Hahn is a well-known Catholic convert and author. We have several of his books, and it was very interesting to hear him speak in person.

Dr. Hahn's book, Rome Sweet Home: Our Journey To Catholicism was loaned to us by our oldest son when he was going through RCIA. A year later, we followed him into the Church. The book, while not the reason for our conversion, certainly helped us along the road.

My favorite of Dr. Hahn's books is The Lamb's Supper: The Mass As Heaven On Earth. That was the subject of his first talk today. Easy to read, the book clearly and simply describes the Mass as shown in the Apocalypse. His conversion story and discussion of the New Testament hidden in the Old, and the Old Testament revealed in the New made for a very interesting lecture.

His second talk concerned the "new atheism," which he believes is more aggressive and in-your-face than atheism was in the past. He has written a book about the subject, of course. :o) He also talked about why we believe what we believe as Catholics, and how blessed we are to have the Sacraments. I know I'm making it sound much simpler than it was, but it's impossible to describe a three hour lecture in a short post.

His book about Mary, Hail, Holy Queen is another of my faves. For anyone who has questions or concerns about the Catholic Church's love for our Holy Mother, this book has the answers.

To learn more about Dr. Scott Hahn, you can visit his website here.

1 comment:

X said...

I have 8 of his books! His book "A Father Who Keeps His Promises" was THE eye opener for me. When I read "Lamb's Supper" I cried at Mass every time I went while I read the book because I finally had an idea of what was REALLY going on!

I think it's in Rome Sweet Home where the young Scott vows he will convert Catholics (his intention then was to bring them away from Holy Mother Church) and God certainly answered that prayer but in a way Scott couldn't have imagined at that time!

Great guy, great author, great Catholic!