Wednesday, April 9, 2008

King Ranch Chicken

Therese, here's my King Ranch Chicken recipe:

King Ranch Chicken

1 whole chicken (or parts)
onion
celery
parsley
salt
pepper

Boil the chicken in water and seasonings until done. Save the broth. Debone the chicken and cut into bite size pieces.

1 package of corn tortillas
1 medium onion, chopped fine
2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can Rotel hot tomatoes
1 cup chicken broth (from the chicken you cooked, or canned)

Put 1/2 the chicken into a 9X13 baking dish. Put 1/2 the tortilla strips on chicken. Sprinkle on 1/2 of the onions, sprinkle on 1/2 grated cheese. Repeat all layers again.

Mix together the canned ingredients and chicken broth and pour over entire casserole. Bake at 350° for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.

This may be frozen before cooking for later use. Freeze the foil covered casserole. When ready to use, thaw in refrigerator overnight and bake the same way.

Serves 6 to 8

My friend Mary B, who grew up in Texas (in the Valley), gave me this recipe years ago. It's my favorite casserole ever. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Adrienne said...

That sounds so comforting. I love comfort food.

Copied and in my stack to make.

Therese said...

It sounds delicious Kalona. Since it can be frozen I will add it in for our next once a month cook.

That chicken that you have in the picture is the type we have. They are called isa brown chickens and lay the biggest eggs.

Kalona said...

Yes, comfort food describes it perfectly, Adrienne. I'm sure you'll like it.

Therese, this recipe is perfect for your once a month cooking.

Thanks for the name of the chicken--I had no idea what it was, but I thought it looked pretty. :o)

Tanya said...

That sounds sooooo good. I'm definitely going to make this for dinner some time!