Saturday, April 5, 2008

Lunch After The Lecture

This is the Josephine Street Cafe, the little old ramshackle roadhouse where we had a very late lunch (or a very early supper) today. It is a San Antonio tradition. It was a meat market in the early 1900's and became the Jo Street Cafe in the 1970's. The wooden floor slants off to the west, and there is a 500 year old tree growing up through the roof.

The food is very good. I had chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes and cream gravy and a salad called the "Wilt." It is wilted lettuce with tomatoes, garlic and sliced green olives. Sounds weird, but it's quite good. Ron had grilled pork chops with mashed potatoes and cream gravy and a house salad. We shared a huge peach cobbler with ice cream for dessert. Neither of us had any whiskey today. Maybe next time. ;o)

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

Missed that place but the chicken fried steak sounds wonderful.

I lived in Houston for over 15 years (which makes me one half Texan and one half Minnesotan) and I had never even heard of chicken fried steak when I moved there. I actually thought it was chicken.

We would go to San Antonio quite often to party (back in my drinking days). I do miss the great Mexican food.

Kalona said...

Adrienne, if you ever get back down this way, let me know. We'll go have the chicken friend steak. :o)