Friday, April 4, 2008

Fun with Mom and Reece


Earlier this week my mom mentioned that she wanted to go to some thrift stores, but one thing and another kept us from it until today.

Because my daughter-in-law had a doctor appointment we took my two year old grandson, Reece, with us. It is such a joy to see the two of them (Mom and Reece) together. She thinks everything he does is hilarious and brilliant, and he loves to make her laugh.

We drove to New Braunfels because I thought St. Peter and Paul Church had a thrift store. Well, they are in the process of renovating an old car dealership into a new thrift shop, but it isn't finished yet. They do have a beautiful grotto though, so I took them to see that while we were there. Then we went inside the church. It is beautiful, and has the most gorgeous stained glass windows! Reece was delighted to be there, and so were Mom and I.

After lunch at a Taco Bell, we went to a Goodwill store where Mom bought a cute cookie jar and two votive candle holders. She was distressed when Reece came to her place on Wednesday and kept asking for cookies, and she didn't have any. She said that she is going to keep cookies in her new jar, just for him. ;o) I bought a glass fish-shaped platter there, to serve our Friday fish.

Reece was very good and patient in the Goodwill, but we dropped him off at the house when we got back, since his mommy was home by then, and we thought his tolerance for shopping was probably wearing thin.

Then Mom and I set out for another Goodwill, where she bought a potpourri ball to hang in her closet, and I found five little sundae dishes for my grands, and a candleholder. Our last stop was at Texas Thrift, where I found a Wilton Armetale bread dish for $1.48, two really cute cafe-style saucers (now I have to find the cups to match) and a robot for Reece. He is absolutely delighted with it! He calls it "Bo-bot."

It was a fun, pleasant day. We enjoyed being together and got a few goodies for very little money.

No comments: