Friday, April 4, 2008

Freecycle

Do you know about Freecycle? It's a great way to recycle. Find a group in your area and join, then start cleaning out your garage, attic, shed, etc. and posting the items on Freecycle. Other members receive your email, and if they want the item, they let you know by email. You can either give the item to the first one who responds, or wait until you get a few emails and give it to the person you choose. I've given away lots of clothes, stereo equipment, a dishwasher, wine bottles, canna lily bulbs and various other things.

It's also a good way to get an item that you may not have wanted to buy. I get several emails each day offering items. Most of them I don't want, but now and then I see something that I can use, or one of my kids can use. Some of the things I've gotten from Freecycle include an old-fashioned exercise bike, flower bulbs and plants, a dresser that I turned into a potting bench, a breadmaker, a dollhouse for my granddaughters, a scanner, two box valances for my daughter's living room windows and a box of old spindles from a porch railing to use for crafts.

People also post wanted items. I've seen many emails requesting everything from a car to baby strollers, kids clothes, household items, kitchen ware, etc. Most of them post that have received the item. (No one ever posted saying they had received the car, though). You are only allowed to post one "wanted" item per week.

Most people leave the items they are giving away on the porch, but it is possible to meet in a public place if you don't want people coming to your home. I have never had an uneasy moment either picking up or giving away items, but then I live in a very friendly place.

It's time for Spring cleaning. If you're decluttering, instead of filling up the landfill, why not offer your items to someone who can use them? Check out Freecycle.

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

I just signed up for our local Freecycle - What a great idea. I am on a quest to unclutter.

Kalona said...

Hi Adrienne, thanks for your comment. I'm glad you signed up for Freecycle. I'm on that same quest to unclutter. :o)