Monday, August 20, 2012

Running Away

Yesterday I ran away for a couple of hours. Do you ever do that? Sometimes I feel so restless that I have to get away. I just got in the truck and drove. I drove north up Hwy. 281 because I was longing to see the hills. I drove all the way to Johnson City, then turned around and drove back, listening to KNBT all the way. It was nice and I felt a bit refreshed by the time I got home around 8:30 PM.

Sometimes when I run away I go northeast, to Gruene, New Braunfels, Canyon Lake, San Marcos or Austin. If I go northwest I can see the little towns along 281, or go up I-10 to Comfort or Fredericksburg. A little further west will take me to Concan, Leaky and the Frio River area. Straight west is the way to Castroville, settled by the Alsatians in the 1800s. You can see all kinds of church spires as you come down the hill from the west into Castroville. Rockport, Corpus Christi, and North Padre Island are a couple of hours south. A few hours more will take me to Harlingen and South Padre.

And that's just a few of the places you can run away to around here. I'd like to visit the piney woods of northeast Texas, and the Big Bend in west Texas, too. And Marfa. I want to see the mysterious Marfa lights. But those places are more than a couple of hours away.

(Photo from Wikipedia. That's one of the views I saw).

1 comment:

Adrienne said...

I used to do that all the time. It's so much fun! Big Bend is a must see. Beautiful...