Sunday, May 27, 2012

A Tribute

Almost every year on Memorial Day I have posted a poem by C W Johnson. The poem was shared years ago by one of the posters on the Catholic board I frequent. We called him Teacher.

Teacher was a Marine, retired but still very much a Marine. He was a good, kind man. He died this Memorial Day weekend and he will be greatly missed. Teacher, this year the poem is for you.

Memorial Day
by CW Johnson

We walked among the crosses
Where our fallen soldiers lay.
And listened to the bugle
As Taps began to play.
The Chaplin led a prayer
We stood with heads bowed low.
And I thought of fallen comrades
I had known so long ago.

They came from every city
Across this fertile land.
That we might live in freedom.
They lie here 'neath the sand.
I felt a little guilty
My sacrifice was small.
I only lost a little time
But these men lost their all.

Now the services are over
For this Memorial Day.
To the names upon these crosses
I just want to say,
Thanks for what you've given
No one could ask for more.
May you rest with God in heaven
From now through evermore.

Semper Fi, Teacher.

1 comment:

Therese said...

Rest in peace Teacher.