Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Our Maggie Cat

This little bit is Maggie when she was a kitten. Maggie came into our lives several years ago when my son, Josh, brought her home despite my vehement "NO!" when he asked if we could get a cat. I think he knew that I wouldn't be able to say no when I saw her. And he was right.

Maggie has grown into a huge cat. She's about 5 years old, and very much Josh's cat. She lives with us, though, because he can't have pets in the house he rents. She misses him, and whenever he comes over, she follows him around, wanting his attention. When he leaves, she watches his car from the front room window.

Maggie is a very independent cat, but she is getting friendlier as she ages. She is always happy to see me when I get up in the morning, and will talk to me and sometimes purr. She's not a lap cat, but she will relax on the back of the couch near my head sometimes, and she likes to rub against my legs. I'm allowed to rub her ears once in awhile. :o)

Seeing the dogs and cats at the animal shelter last week has made me very aware of how much our pets have meant to us. It's hard to imagine why people abuse their pets, or abandon them. It is heartbreaking to see so many beautiful animals waiting for a home and someone to love them. I imagine that some of the dogs and cats we saw have already been euthanized, and it makes me angry and sad.

Not everyone can adopt an animal from a shelter, but there is something that everyone with a computer can do to help. Go here and click on the tab to help rescue animals.

And while you're at it, you can also click to help fight breast cancer (they need help meeting their quota right now), save the rainforests, help fight hunger, promote literacy and give free child healthcare.

H/T to my friend Kathy for sending the email with the link to the breast cancer site. Thanks!

1 comment:

Kalona said...

Thanks for the comment, songjane. Someone at Steve Ray's Catholic convert message board had posted about them, so I had heard of them. Thank you for reminding me about them.