Sunday, August 31, 2008

My Priest Rocks!

There have been times when I feel a little bit bad about leaving the parish church where Ron and I went through RCIA and converted to Catholicism. It's still dear to me, and I love some of the people who work there and many who still attend Mass there. But there are days like today when I am so grateful to be attending the TLM at our new church.

I love all three of the priests who celebrate the TLM there, but I have to admit that my favorite is Fr. Donald Kloster. He is young, very traditional (meaning that he totally follows the Magisterium of the Church), and he is unafraid to tell the truth. It is so refreshing to have a priest who speaks out against abortion, same sex marriage, politicians who claim to be Catholic but refuse to be obedient to the authority of the Church.

Today he said that he wanted to make perfectly clear that Catholics do not have the option of supporting abortion, despite what some supposedly Catholic politicians have said. He talked about how the dogmas of the Church have never changed, despite the fact that some doctrines have changed. And, he said, Catholics cannot disagree with Church dogma, one of which is that life begins at conception.

He went on, making sure that the congregation understood that the Church is neither liberal nor conservative, but that we must follow the Magisterium, not our own opinions. He was delighted that so many American Archbishops spoke out to set Nancy Pelosi straight after her interview with Tom Brokaw on Meet The Press.

He said a lot more, and when he finished half the congregation burst into spontaneous applause, which never happens at this Mass. After Mass as I was waiting to speak with Father, I heard the man in front of me tell him, "Father, I wish I had a tape recorder at Mass today. I know a lot of people who need to hear what you said." I told Father, "Ditto what he said. That was wonderful. Thank you!"

I pray for more priests who are not afraid of hurting or offending someone by saying that abortion is wrong, by saying that same sex marriage is wrong, by telling us we should dress modestly and pray more. We need to pray for more priests like Fr. Kloster who tell us the truth about what the Catholic Church teaches, whether we like it or not.

4 comments:

John D said...

So would you be in favor of a ban on civil divorce, applied to both Catholics and non-Catholics alike?

Kalona said...

Hello John D,

No, I believe that there are sometimes legitimate reasons for a divorce.

In the Catholic Church, a marriage is not easily dissolved. Marriage is a Sacrament, a covenant entered into by the man, the woman and God. It is meant to be forever, irrevocable. Baptized Catholics must seek an annulment in order to dissolve their marriage. In the case of annulment, I think that they would also have to get a civil divorce.

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church:
2483 The separation of spouses while maintaining the marriage bond can be legitimate in certain cases provided for by canon law. (177)

If civil divorce remains the only possible way of ensuring certain legal rights, the care of the children, or the protection of inheritance, it can be tolerated and does not constitute a moral offense.

Rose said...

Fr. Donald Kloster presided over my daddy's requiem Mass. My daddy's final wish was to have his requiem Mass said in the traditional Latin Tridentine Rite. Fr. Kloster did a beautiful job and my daddy I'm sure is proud!

Kalona said...

Rose, that is so wonderful that Father Kloster was able to help you give your father his last request. He really is a wonderful priest, and I'm sure the requiem Mass was beautiful. Thank you for sharing that with me. May the soul of your father rest in peace.