Thursday, August 28, 2008

Aurelius Augustinus, pray for us.

Today, August 28, is the feast day of St. Augustine, Bishop, Confessor and Doctor of the Church.

From my 1962 Roman Missal:
Augustine, born at Tagast (Africa) in 354, was the son of St. Monica and of a pagan father, Patricius. His mind was ensnared by errors and his soul and body corrupted by debauchery and impurity. Converted by the prayers of his mother, he became one of the most famous Doctors of the West and a Father of the Church. He died after an episcopate of 36 years at Hippo (Africa) A.D. 430.

Quote from St. Augustine
Thou hast made us for Thyself and our hearts are restless till they rest in Thee. (Confessions I, i, 1)

St. Augustine's Prayer to the Holy Spirit
Breathe in me, O Holy Spirit, that my thoughts may all be holy.
Act in me, O Holy Spirit, that my work, too, may be holy.
Draw my heart, O Holy Spirit, that I love but what is holy.
Strengthen me, O Holy Spirit, to defend all that is holy.
Guard me, then, O Holy Spirit, that I always may be holy.
Amen.

No comments: