Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Healthy Gran

This afternoon was Mom's doctor appointment.  Her lab and x-ray reports were very good.  The only thing wrong was that she is still anemic.  When she had the carotid artery surgery last year, they discovered that her red count was low and wanted her to see a gastroenterologist to find out why.  But then her doctor dropped her insurance and we never got a referral.  Iron supplements have helped.

Now we have a referral and I'll call tomorrow to get her in to see him.  Her doctor said that she needs a colonoscopy and maybe an endoscopy.  Of course she doesn't want to do them, but she will.  

All in all, the doctor thinks she is doing remarkably well for 86 years old.  Her blood pressure, cholesterol, and lipid panel were all great.  I wish I was as physically healthy as she is!  Her red count, although a bit lower than normal, is still higher than mine.  Her blood sugar was 112, just a tiny bit high.  Her doc told her to cut back on sugar, but he smiled when I told him that she ate a whole package of cookies in one day a week or so ago.  He told her, "Maybe you can cut back to half a package."  :o)

I took her home and stayed there for an hour, until about 5:30, when it was time to pick up Ron.  He doesn't usually work that late, but this has been a busy week for him, and he has spent long hours at work.  He didn't have the car today because I needed it to take Mom to the doctor.  Sometimes it's a real juggling act with the vehicles.  Josh uses the truck, which I'd rather drive than the car, but it all works out.  

Anyway, it's been a busy day and I'm hungry.  Josh went to pick up Thai food, but I'm tired of pad thai, and afraid anything else will hurt my mouth.  I wish the problem with my mouth would go away.  I love spicy foods and can't eat them at all right now.  The silver lining is that my weight is much better than it has been for years because eating is not much fun

*Later*

I've made playdoh penguins, worked with Reece on his writing, read the girls two bedtime stories, watched a new-to-us cartoon with Reece called Dreamworks Dragons, turned off the lights and told him the story of the Billy Goats Gruff for the thousandth time.  Tonight I made the billy goats bleat when they talked to the troll, and he thought that was the funniest thing ever.  He turned over and gave me a big hug and said, "Gramma, I love you!"  I told Josh it takes so little to delight him.  :o)

I wound up eating Ron's leftover thai, and it wasn't too spicy, it was just good.  

Have a great Wednesday!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Hi! I'm glad things went well with Gran's appointment.

I thought your mouth was getting better! I guess it fluctuates. I'm glad the pad thai was good, it's one of my favorites.

This weekend is supposed to be rainy - I'm glad for the rain but why does it have to rain on the weekend?

Love you!

Kalona said...

Hi Kel,
Mouth is getting better, but it's still sensitive. I don't know if it's ever going to be normal again.

It's been cloudy all day, and I keep expecting the rain to fall, but I guess it's going to wait until tonight. I'll take it whenever we can get it!

Hope this stupid cold will be gone by next week so that we can get together. Love you!