Thursday, October 11, 2012

Thursday At The Clinic and At Home

Spent the morning at the BMT clinic today, and I have to go back in the morning for a couple of units of blood.  Yeah, my blood count was low again.  Dr. O said the next step is a bone marrow biopsy, which he will do next week on Thursday.  He said he doesn't expect to find anything alarming, but that the biopsy will give us some good information.  I do hope it will show us what is causing my red cells not to multiply as they should.

Dr. O increased my tacrolimus to help combat the graft versus host, which has come back with a vengeance.  The other thing that would help is steroids, but I hate taking them and they make my sugar levels go crazy, so he doesn't want me back on them. 

While I'm at the hospital tomorrow, I'll get a flu and pneumonia shot and make an appointment for a PET scan.  When I get to a year after transplant, they will give me the rest of my immunizations, just as if I were a newborn baby (well, I do have a newborn immune system).  December 7 (Pearl Harbor Day) will be my one year anniversary, or as they say at the bone marrow clinic, my new birthday.

In the afternoon I sat with Reece while he did his homework, then we made a little sight word game that I found here.  He loves playing with cars, and did better with his sight words than he does when we use boring flash cards.  Aubrey and Cammie thought the game was pretty neat, too.  I would call out one of his sight words, and he would park his little car on it pretty quickly.  He filled up all the parking spots and got a gold star.  :o)

This evening I watched the debate.  Ryan won, hands down.  

I'm glad tomorrow is Friday and the weekend is almost here.  This has seemed like such a long week. 

No comments: