Thursday, October 20, 2011

Chemo Today, and Some Bad News

My doctor came by when I was getting the chemo today. He wanted to take another spinal fluid sample from my Ommaya port. He said that the sample he got on Monday came back positive for mantle cell lymphoma. He said that it's possible that he got some peripheral blood in the sample when he put the needle into my scalp. He said, "I didn't mention it, but the sample looked a little cloudy." When he took out the sample today, he said it looked very clear. I don't care where the cancer cells came from, whether they are in my spinal fluid or blood, I don't want them anywhere in my body. Damn cancer.

The chemo that he put in my spinal column on Monday may have killed the bad cells that were there, and maybe that's why it was clear today. He's been using Methotrexate in the Ommaya port, but the backup plan is to also use Rituxan in it later.

I did fine with the Rituxan today, but as usual my afternoon was shot because all I want to do is sleep when I get home. So that's what I did. I didn't have to have platelets today.

I have a PET scan scheduled for next Wednesday, and I'll meet with one of the other bone marrow transplant doctors because my dear Dr. B is being deployed to Afghanistan. I am just heartbroken to think of him going there. But the doctor I'll see is the head of the whole bone marrow transplant unit, so I'll be in good hands. Dr. B is leaving next month, around Thanksgiving, so he will still be here for awhile. I'm wondering if he wants to get the transplant over and done with before he leaves.

He said today that they had decided not to worry about trying to coordinate my treatment with my sister's bone marrow donation, but just to collect her cells and freeze them until I'm ready for them. The ideal situation would be for me to finish my chemo treatment at the same time her cells are collected, and deliver them fresh to me, but that takes a lot of coordination.

Johnnie, my bone marrow donor, will be here for about 2 weeks. I'm so grateful that there is no problem with her being away from her job and family for that time. We still don't know when she is coming, but probably within the next 2 or 3 weeks.

I saw my radiation oncologist on Tuesday, and he was very pleased with my progress. He said the strength in my legs is almost back to 100%. Of course he had not seen the results from the spinal fluid yet, but I'm not scheduled to see him again until February.

Dr. B promised to let me know what he finds as soon as possible, so I'll let y'all know when I know. Meanwhile, your prayers are greatly appreciated! Thank you.

1 comment:

Therese said...

You remain in my prayers Kalona.

I am sorry your doctor is being deployed.

It is great that your sister can donate bone marrow and that they can freeze the cells.