Tuesday, April 27, 2010

An Outpouring Of Love

I am being bombarded with love.

Kelly came over yesterday afternoon, and brought me 2 cute skull caps, one red and one black, a cotton visor cap, a gorgeous silk scarf and a black swim cap so my bald head won't get burned in the pool this summer. :o)

She is so sweet and thoughtful. She wants me to be prepared for when my hair comes out.

See the little knit cap with the yellow crocheted flower? I'll tell you about that one in another post in a bit. It has a special story.

While Kelly was here, I got the mail and there was a lovely card from my cousin, with a beautiful poem. I've already received so many cards and notes from friends and loved ones.

When Kelly got ready to leave, we opened the door and there was a UPS package on the porch from my sister Johnnie, in Kansas.

Here is what I found inside. A very precious prayer blanket, made by a sewing group at a church in Wichita, Kansas. Their ministry is called the Resurrection Prayer Blanket Ministry, and they meet for a few hours a month to construct the blankets, praying for the sick as they work.

There is no charge for the blankets, but people may donate money or materials.

A special prayer for each recipient is prayed at each meeting, the rosary is recited at each meeting, and the blankets are blessed at a Mass. "The entire process of creating and distribution of these blankets becomes a prayer."

Isn't that the most wonderful idea ever? I do feel covered in prayer when I snuggle under the blanket. (It's about 36 x 42 inches--you can't really tell by the picture).

Johnnnie said that two of her co-workers' sisters with cancer took their blankets with them every time they went for chemo. I plan to do the same!

In addition to the blanket, Johnnie sent a wild pair of PJs with a note that says, "Everyone needs flashy PJs for the hospital!" :o) They're cute.

And she sent a beautiful crystal St. Peregrine rosary. St. Peregrine is the patron saint of people with cancer. I love the rosary!

Thank you, Kelly and Johnnie! Your thoughtful, loving kindnesses made my day.


No comments: