Friday, April 30, 2010

I Still Have Hair

...so far. :o)

My sister wants me to get it cut short before it starts coming out, so it won't be as much of a shock, and so it won't be as messy to clean up.

I've had good day, except for early this morning when I threw up for the first time during this whole thing.

I went to the hospital to have lab work done, and my doctor called me this afternoon and said things are progressing as they should.

I'll be neutropenic soon, meaning my white cells will be so suppressed that I won't have the ability to fight off infection, so I'll have to be very careful.

Josh and I stopped at PetsMart to pick up cat food for Miss Maggie, flea meds for Mom's little dog Teddy, and some toys for the the puppies. Josh got them 2 big tennis balls and a tough, long braided rope toy. When we got home, he threw the balls for them for awhile and they were sooo excited! Then he threw one in the pool, to see whether Sister would jump in after it from the side. She didn't at first; she would go to the steps and swim in. But after awhile she got so excited that she would leap into the water from wherever she was when he threw the ball. It was so fun to watch; my cheeks hurt from grinning. :o)

Katy doesn't love the water the way Sis does. She will go onto the steps, but usually stops short of swimming. She was trying to reach her ball from the side and Josh gently nudged her into the water, and she swam all around chasing the ball. But she would rather wait until Sissy gets her ball out, then try to steal if from her. :o) They are a riot!

I napped for a little bit, and then decided to come out on the patio with my computer where I can hear the birds singing and smell the neighbor's freshly cut grass.

11 comments:

Jennifer Mulkey said...

Wow, you've done really well. My worst days were always day 3 through 6, then I started feeling a little more normal. I also had a hard time with my blood counts. Had times when I had to stay in or wear a mask when I was out. It was worth it, I didn't catch anything. I did do the shots for anemia and they helped. The shots can cause alot of joint pain though, so make sure you talk to your doc about something for that. You look great! :) My hair started coming out about day 14. It was cut almost exactly like yours, still is (since it's grown back). I did cut it all off and shaved my head before I lost it all. Good to see you are still doing well :) You remain in our thoughts and prayers :)
Gracie (Jennifer)

Anonymous said...

If I recall correctly my mom didn't start losing her hair until after her second round of A/C. She didn't cut her hair shorter before it started coming out but I shaved her head before it was all out because she was not liking the straggly look and wanted it done and over with. do whatever *you* are comfortable with.
i'm so sorry you got sick. take your zofran! just make sure that you take colace along with it and keep miralax on hand. if there is anythingg I have experience with it is zofran ((((HUGS)))))

k-

Kelly said...

Be careful and stay safe, keep checking your temp. and don't do anything to put yourself at risk. Wear your masks in crowded places and make sure anyone with a cold waits until they've recovered before they visit your home.

You know this already but I'm just sayin'. :)

I love you.

Kalona said...

Jennifer, it helps so much that you are sharing your experiences with me! It gives me some idea of what to expect. I bought a box of masks yesterday and plan to wear them if/when I go anywhere. I may have to have the shots you mentioned, and will be sure to talk to my doctor about the joint pain (I already had enough of that before the cancer).

K, I'll definitely shave my head as soon as my hair starts coming out because I think the straggly look makes people look even more sick than the bald look. Did you use an electric hair trimmer to shave your mom's head? I see people with these amazingly bald scalps, and I wonder how they get it so smooth.

I will take my Zofran from now on. I used another nausea med last night because it's supposed to last 8 hours instead of 4, but it's just not as good as the Zofran. It worked for me one night, but the Zofran works for me EVERY time.

My doc has me on a colace/senna/miralax regimen. So far the colace and senna have done the trick, and I haven't had to resort to the Miralax.

Thank you both so much for your continued prayers and support. It means the world to me.

Kalona said...

Kelly, my little worry wart, I promise to be very careful. As soon as I read your comment I took my temperature (98.1). All is well. I love you, too!

Anonymous said...

I used a set of a Wahl clippers that I use for my boys. You can't get it to skin with those but to an extremely short stubble, a mm or two, that rubs off on its own while you sleep.
I hope to come up next week. You guys like cinnamon bread?
Of course I will only come if I, and munchkins, are all 100% healthy. No visit is ever worth the risk of getting you sick.

Kalona said...

K, thank you for letting me know about the clippers and how the little tiny hairs come out. I thought I'd have to shave the stubble with a razor, and I could just see me with cuts on my bald dome. :o)

I'd love to see you next week. I have a couple of appointments on Monday, and lunch with a friend from Houston on Wednesday, but as far as I know now, the rest of the week is free. We love cinnamon bread, but please don't feel you have to bring anything. Just seeing your smiling face would be gift enough. Sister and Katy will be delighted to see you, too. :o)

Linda said...

I think bald will suit you just fine! Think of pretty hats and bandanas you can sport. (you don't want that San Anton sun to burn you!)
Hang in there. I've been on that zofran ride too, and no one warned me of the side effects.

Kalona said...

Linda, well, it will be an interesting look. I keep thinking of the little Six Flags guy on the commercial. Ha!

My doctor told me that one of my chemo meds (Vincristine) would also cause those side effects, so I got a double whammy. Cherry essence prunes (along with colace and senna) are my friend. :o)

Unknown said...

Still battling with growing my hair long. If you want a haircutting pal, all it will take for me to go back to uber short bob is a word from you :)

Kalona said...

Kage, you are so sweet to offer to do that! I saw the recent picture of you, and your hair looks beautiful. Of course, you looked cute when it was short and spiky, too. :o) I think you should let it grow a little longer and see how you feel then. You're making progress! Hugs!