Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Hospice and other stuff.

I have been on hospice for a few days now, and it is nice to have someone to help Ron with my care, particularly bathing.  

An RN comes in twice a week to check my vitals and for any questions or concerns we may have.  The first nurse came out for two days in a row, but now there is another set of workers.

An aide comes 3X a week, to help with my bath.  She's so sweet.  She likes to dry my hair and style it.  My hair came back as thick as ever, and she enjoys playing with it.  :o)  She was here this morning.

We haven't received the equipment they plan to bring out yet.  They're bringing a transfer bench, which should help immensely with moving from my wheelchair to over the bathtub.  They mentioned bringing a trapeze so that I can pull myself around on the bed.  I have good upper body strength right now.  But I think they need a hospital bed for that.  I was hoping we wouldn't have to have one of those until later.

Right now Ron and our two strong sons move me around.  Josh and Jason can pick me up easily, but Ron has trouble lifting me and I'm terrified that he's going to hurt his back.  Josh is so strong that he can carry me up and down the stairs like I'm a child.

The simplest, everyday activities, like going to the bathroom, are the hardest things to accomplish.  It's a bit bizarre.  I wake up in the morning and start to swing my legs out of bed and walk to the bathroom.  Then I remember.  Someone else has to swing my legs over and lift me onto a bedside commode (wheelchair won't fit through the 2nd bathroom door, where toilet is).  I have to have  help to pull down my pants.  Then help to get my pants back up and into the wheelchair or bed.  That's the awful part.  I'm having to learn not to be so independent, and it's very hard for me.  I've always been in charge, at least of myself.  

I'm in my room a lot, but downstairs for most of the afternoon to be with everyone.  Today Kelly is coming to take me for a drive to the Hill Country, just to get me out, and because I love the Hill Country.  I'm looking forward to that.  I wonder if there are any Fredericksburg peaches left?

One of my boys came over to see me yesterday.  When the kids were growing up, they all had friends that we all loved, and Chris is one of Josh's high school friends.  The first time I ever saw him he was sitting in a little orange sports car in our driveway, and had a big sweet smile on his face.  I said, "Well, aren't you the cutest thing?" and I've loved him ever since.

He brought me a book about using nutrition to cure cancer, called The Complete Cancer Cleanse by Cherie Calbom, MS (the Juice Lady), John Calbom, M.A, and Michael Mahaffey, P. C.  Wasn't that sweet?  I was reading it last night, but it says the juice detox program makes you very sick for about 5 days a few days after you start it, so I don't think it will work for me.  But I will definitely use the suggestions for food from the book.  It's all good for the immune system.

Have a great Wednesday!

No comments: