Friday, July 18, 2008

A Treasure!

A few months ago I stopped to browse in a local antique mall and saw this huge metal plate with a crucifix. The owner of the booth also had a couple of large old crucifixes that I would love to have, too. Maybe next month. :o) I always want to buy Catholic items when I see them in thrift stores, flea markets or antique stores.

At the time, I didn't want to pay the asking price, but I kept thinking that I should have bought the plate. Today Lily and I were out and about, and we stopped at the antique mall. I was surprised to see that the plate was still there, and on sale for 20% off! I felt like it was waiting for me. :o)

I've never seen anything like it, and wonder if it is a handmade piece. It's 24" in diameter, and the pictures and words are raised. The Corpus is a separate piece, added to the raised cross. The metal may be copper, but I'm not sure.

If someone can translate the Dutch* inscription for me, I'd appreciate it. I suspect that it says something like, "Give us this day our daily bread," but I'm just guessing.

Now I have to figure out where to hang it. It looks much bigger than it did in the store!

Prayer Before A Crucifix
Behold, O kind and most sweet Jesus,
I cast myself upon my knees in Thy sight,
and with the most fervent desire of my soul
I pray and beseech Thee that Thou wouldst impress upon my heart
lively sentiments of faith, hope and charity,
with true contrition for my sins, and a firm purpose of amendment,
while with deep affection and grief of soul
I ponder within myself and mentally contemplate Thy five Wounds,
having before my eyes that which David, the prophet, spoke of Thee, my Jesus:
"They have pierced My hands and My feet; they have numbered all My bones."

Amen

*edited to say Dutch inscription rather than German inscription. Thanks, Jason!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you're correct on the translation, but that's not German. I believe it's Dutch.

Kalona said...

You're right, Jason, it is Dutch. I should have tried googling the words to begin with. Thanks! I've been searching on-line to see if I can find a similar plate, but so far no luck.

X said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
X said...

Hi again...I saved the picture to my computer and lightened it up. The inscription reads "Geef ons heden ons dagelijks brood" which is right out of the Our Father..."give us this day our daily bread."

Very appropriate inscription! In fact...how much would you sell the plate for???????!!!?????

Kalona said...

Thank you for verifying the translation, Angela. I do appreciate it. :o) I don't want to sell the plate right now, but if I do decide to sell it, you will be the first to know. Thanks again!

X said...

Thanks for keeping me in mind Kalona! Or if you run into another plate such as this....I am just an email away!