Monday, July 21, 2008

The Painted Churches

Mom and I took Lily to meet her daddy in Schulenburg today, a drive of about an hour and a half. We met at noon and had lunch together, then said good-bye to Jason and Lily. Lily was so happy to see her daddy, and was eager to get home to see the rest of her family. I'm going to miss her.

After parting from them, Mom and I visited four of the beautiful painted churches in the area. The picture on the left is a small sample of the painting at one of the churches, The Nativity of Mary, Blessed Virgin at High Hill. All of the churches are lovely, but this one is my favorite. Not only is the painting spectacular, but the statues, the altar, and the stained glass windows are stunning.

We also visited St. Cyril and Methodius in Dubina, St. John The Baptist in Ammansville, and St. Mary's Church Of The Assumption in Praha. I wish I could post pictures of all of them, but please click on the links; you'll be amazed at their beauty.

I've visited these churches several times, and each time I want to stay longer. They are incredibly peaceful, holy places, filled with history, reverence and love for God. The presence of Christ in the Tabernacle is palpable. I felt that presence whenever I entered a Catholic church, long before I converted, but I didn't understand what it was. Even in the modern, stripped-down Catholic churches that are everywhere now, I feel that Presence. He is there.

But why have our churches changed so much? Why can't they still be the beautiful offerings to God that the old Catholic churches were? Why shouldn't the place where we worship Him be so beautiful that it takes our breath away? That seems right to me.

No comments: