Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Darcy

Earlier this summer my daughter Kelly's 18 year old cat died. It's been very hard for Kelly. She got Usti for her 16th birthday when we were living in Japan. Usti has had more travel adventures than most people. :o) Kelly has always been passionate about animals, and decided that she would get another pet for her birthday this year.

Yesterday my mom and I went with Kelly to the Humane Society to look at cats, puppies and adult dogs. Kelly wants two pets, but was having a hard time deciding between cats and dogs. We looked at all of the animals at the shelter, and there were many that pulled at our heartstrings. No firm decision was made.

A few minutes ago, Kelly called me. She said that she was sitting in a room at the shelter with a puppy that she was going to adopt. She described the dog, and I thought I remembered her from our visit yesterday. Sure enough, when I went to the website and looked for Darcy's picture, I remembered her. Isn't she cute? She is 5 months old, and Kelly says she is very friendly.

She still wants a companion for Darcy, but has decided to wait awhile. I'm so excited for her and her new puppy! Kelly has always been a cat person; Darcy will be her first dog.

I'm also very happy that Kelly rescued a dog, rather than going out and buying a puppy from a breeder. I'm sure the two of them will be "forever friends," as they say at the shelter.

Give Darcy a hug for me, Sweetie. I love you!

*edited to change the picture for a more up-to-date one that Kelly took.

4 comments:

iris lover said...

K -
Adopted pets who find themselves unwanted and unloved are the greatest. Bless her! We've had 5 dogs (at different times)who found themselves on our doorstep and in our hearts. All 5 we considered the best friends in our life. We mourned them when they departed and were buried, but in the years we were together they filled our hearts with joy and friendship. It breaks my heart to hear of someone wanting a pet and then buying one from a puppy farm or pet store. An unwanted 4-legged friend can be so easy to find. Given the right temperment to get along well with his/her new parent(s), they can come into the lives & hearts of the family with little effort. Truly, they are NOT our pets. They are our children.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for putting Darcy in your blog!

She had her first bath in the bathtub of her new home today and tolerated it well but didn't want very much to do with the hairdryer afterward. Baby powder puppy shampoo smells wonderful!

She's going in for her Wellness Exam on Monday, I hope the doctor says she's fit as a fiddle.

Kalona said...

iris lover, you are right, our adopted pets have a way of capturing our hearts so easily. How wonderful that you've taken in so many abandoned animals.

Kalona said...

Hi Kel, I had to put Darcy on my blog; she's a member of our family now. :o) Mmm, baby powder shampoo sounds lovely. I hope she gets a good report from the vet on Monday. We're looking forward to seeing all three of you tomorrow.