Saturday, February 23, 2008

Sissy


My middle sister is 17 months younger than me. She's always been bubbly, vivacious and filled with hope and joy. I love her very much. We were very close as children, although we had our share of sibling rivalry growing up. When we were little I called her Sissy, which stuck until she went to junior high school, then she insisted on being called Sandi. After I married my military husband and she moved from Kansas to Texas, we drifted apart somewhat, but always maintained that sisterly bond.

We each have three children. Mine have already given me 5 grandchildren and 1 due in June, but her first grandchild will be born in July. Needless to say, she is excited and delighted. She recently found out her grandbaby is a boy. :o) I can hardly wait for her to hold him and experience the wonder and joy of being a grandmother. It's the best!

My sister is here visiting our mom this weekend, and I spent the afternoon with them. What fun we always have together! We had lunch at the Liberty Bar, a San Antonio institution, and then went to the Oblate Grotto. My Baptist sister loved being there as much as Mom and I did. :o) The grotto is a replica of the grotto at Lourdes, and there is an Adoration chapel underneath it. The grounds are beautiful and peaceful, with lovely Stations of the Cross and statues.

There is never enough time to share our joys and sorrows, but we do the best we can in the short time available. Sometimes we travel together from Texas back to our hometown in Kansas, and by the time we get there we are hoarse from talking non-stop for 600 miles.

We both have good friends, but there is nothing like the bond that siblings have. Something about having shared the same experience during our childhood creates a very strong connection that is like no other relationship. I thank God for my sisters.

1 comment:

Judy said...

What a lovely post about your sisters. I was working on a scrapbook page of my sisters and me the other day and found this quote, "Sisters by chance, Friends by choice."