Monday, February 18, 2008

Report on the TLM

In an earlier post, I mentioned that I would be attending the Tridentine/Traditional Latin Mass. Today was the day, and it was lovely. The church was full. The priest was very young, and fluent in Latin. We arrived early, thinking that there might be a crowd, so we got to watch as they transformed the altar between Masses.


I'm distressed that I can't remember the young priest's name. He said that he is one of three priests who will be celebrating the TLM at St. Pius X on Sundays. After Mass, we saw him leaving and told him “thank you!” He said that he was on his way to another Mass, and was running late. Now I'm curious to know whether it was another Latin Mass.


His homily was wonderful. He talked about how Latin is the universal language of the Church. He explained why the priest faces the tabernacle, or ideally faces East. (He is facing God, along with the people. In many modern churches, since we can't face East, we face the Tabernacle). He talked about our demeanor and dress at Mass, about how the priest prays many of the prayers privately, but that it doesn't mean that we aren't as engaged in the Mass as we are at the Novus Ordo. He commented that whatever prayers we are praying silently are also being offered up to God, along with the Sacrifice on the Altar.


He mentioned women covering their heads, and told us not to hold out our hands for the Eucharist, because it would only be placed on our tongues. I was glad that I had bought lace mantillas for myself and Mom, and I always receive on my tongue. It was how we received when we were Missouri Synod Lutherans, and receiving any other way seems irreverent. He discussed the importance of going to confession, and of not receiving the Eucharist if we were in sin or did not believe in the Real Presence. Everything he spoke about was what every Catholic should already know and understand, and yet it needed to be said, because so many of us don't seem to get it.


An altar rail was installed in the rather modern-looking church, especially for this Mass. The choir was in a choir loft behind us, and did a beautiful job with the Latin. The altar boys were perfect, but one of the little ones fainted as he was kneeling before the altar, poor baby. The Mass lasted about an hour an a half, a bit longer than the NO Mass, but it was well worth the extra time. There was another priest and two deacons to help with Communion. The priest told us that this is the first TLM in a parish setting in our Diocese in over forty years.


We were handed missalettes to help us keep our place, but I still managed to get lost pretty often. I was so interested in watching what was happening, that I would forget to read. All of the prayers that the priest prayed silently were in the booklet, in both Latin and English. I knew some of the responses, as well as the Agnus Dei and Pater Noster, but most of the Latin was Greek to me. :o) I'm eager to learn, though, and will definitely be going again.


As the servers and the congregation get used to the TLM, things will go smoother and faster. We are all feeling our way, right now. I'm so grateful to those who have made it possible to celebrate this beautiful Mass. Thanks be to God!

2 comments:

X said...

I think the best thing our Holy Father has done, and will ever do, in his papacy is releasing the TLM. I live a 16 hour drive from the nearest one and I will probably never be able to go to it - but it's out there and that's what matters.

Rosemary said...

Thank you for sharing this. I have not been to a latin Mass in decades, but I do remember them (pre Vatican II) Thanks for visiting my blog.