Thursday, December 15, 2011

I'm Here

Checking in while I still feel halfway decent.

I've had a couple or rough days, especially Tuesday. That day I got 2 units of blood, some magnesium and the methotrexate. It took hours to infuse them all, and sometimes they were doing two at a time. I got the worst headache I've ever had. Oxycodone did nothing for it, so they gave me a little bit of morphine. Even that didn't work for awhile. It wasn't until I was unhooked from all the IVs that I felt better. They did a CT scan of my head to make sure there was nothing else wrong, like a bleed or something. It looked good, no problems.

The mucositis is in what I hope is full bloom. I don't want it to get worse than this. I can hardly open my mouth, can't eat anything except liquids and soft food like jello and pudding. Even those thing hurt. It is in my mouth and throat. They've given me a couple of mouthwash type meds that numb it and make it feel better briefly, but regular pain meds don't help much because it is so localized.

Yesterday I was so tired and sleepy I could barely stay awake; I'm sure from the horrible day before. But by the time Ron came in the evening after work, I felt a little better and was able to walk with him. They want to keep me up and moving.

My platelets were low today, so they gave me a platelet transfusion this morning.

My doc tells me that this should last another 4 or 5 days, then as my new cells begin to engraft, I'll slowly start to feel better. I'm at day 8 out from my transplant now.

Needless to say, I haven't been home since Monday. I miss the kids, but I feel so rotten that I'd be bad company anyway.

Just wanted to let you know that I'm still in the land of the living, and I'm hanging in there. I can get through anything if I know it won't last forever, and this won't.

Prayers always appreciated. Thank you!

6 comments:

Sarah Oldham said...

I'm so sorry sweetie! I'm praying for you!!!! I know you know that, but I think I'd find comfort in the repetition. Love you. Hang in there!!! I'm sure your family would rather you be home as well.

Kelly said...

I'm praying hard for you and hoping things get better sooner rather than later. I hope this is as bad as it gets and you will start recovering faster than any other patient the doctor's have seen and that is also what I am praying for, a fast recovery with no complications.

I'm surprised you even felt like walking around after all that - you are incredible! Love you sooo much.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I was so gratefull to see a post from you and then sad to hear how rough it's been. I'm holding you close in my prayers & praying for strength for you to fight through all of this. You can do this. My friends at work prayed with me today for you. Hang in there. I love you! Sandi

Jennifer Mulkey said...

Thinking of you often and praying for you also :) Much love. I know you are a very strong woman, but I can also imagine how drained you are. Hang in there.

Adrienne said...

Checking in from St. Paul, MN where I'm having a short visit with family. So sorry to hear how nasty you feel. I'm confident the worst is over and it will be uphill from here.

Always prayers...

Jennifer L. Mulkey said...

It's Saturday here. Thinking of you alot today. Prayers winging their way heavenward for you.