Thursday, May 8, 2008

Strawberry Shortcake


Ron's been gone the past 2 weeks, and I have done very little cooking since I'm the only one here. But I had a basket of strawberries in my fridge that needed to be used, so I decided to make strawberry shortcake this morning. Oh my goodness. It tasted so good. I had some for breakfast. Then I had some for lunch. Then I took some to my mom. Then I came home and had some more. (Where is the blushing emoticon)? Hmm, wonder what I will have for dinner. ;o)

I've loved strawberries since I was a kid. Mom used to make shortcake that resembled pie crust. She would cut the dough into big circles before baking it, then layer the rounds with berries and top with whipped cream. It was good, but didn't soak up the berry juice very well.

Sometimes we would buy the sponge shortcakes that come in a package. They soaked up the juice, but I never cared for the taste of them. But they are cute, and I like the little indentation in the top to hold more berries and the whipped cream (or ice cream). :o)

My Great-Aunt Margaret used to give me homemade biscuits and sliced, sweetened strawberries for breakfast when we visited her in Oklahoma. She would let me have as much as I wanted, probably because I was such a skinny little thing.

I've made my shortcakes from scratch, but I like the Bisquick kind best. They are good with any kind of berries, peaches or even canned pineapple chunks.

Here's the recipe:

Strawberry Shortcake
4 C sliced fresh strawberries
1/2 C sugar
2 1/3 C Bisquick
1/2 C milk
3 T sugar
3 T butter, melted
Whipped cream, Cool Whip or other dairy topping, or ice cream.

Mix strawberries and 1/2 cup sugar; set aside. Heat oven to 425°F.
(I always mash my berries and sugar with a potato masher to make more juice).
Stir Bisquick mix, milk, 3 T sugar and the melted butter until soft dough forms.
Drop by 6 spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
Split warm shortcakes; fill and top with strawberries and whipped topping.
6 Shortcakes

Enjoy! (And if your husband is out of town, you can have them for breakfast, lunch and dinner and no one will care). :oD

No comments: