Thursday, March 6, 2008

Our Home Was Burglarized!

This morning someone broke into our home and stole some of my jewelry, a digital camera, and my son's X-Box. The scary thing is that our daughter-in-law and 2 year old grandson were asleep in their upstairs bedroom while the burglar (or burglars) were here. My husband and son were both at work.

I go to my mom's every morning to give her medications to her. While I was there, our daughter-in-law called me. She was crying and said she had bad news. I immediately panicked, afraid that she had lost the baby. (She has had 2 miscarriages and 1 ectopic pregnancy). But she said that someone had been in the house.

She had been asleep in her room with our grandson. They keep a fan running in there to drown out sound, so she didn't hear the front door being broken open. She said that she heard some sounds like someone moving around, but thought that it was me. She was lying there awake, but still drowsy when someone pushed the bedroom door open. She saw him stick his head in, and I guess he realized that someone was there because he closed the door and went away. She thought it was my husband, and thought it odd that he had opened the door. She got up and looked out the window, but there were no cars in the driveway. She came out of the bedroom and looked into our room, and saw that the mattress was pushed partway off the bed, and then saw my jewelry all over the floor. That's when she realized what had happened.

She said she started to shake, went back to get her son and called 911. She ran outside calling for help, and our neighbor across the street told her to come to their house. She called our son and me from there. The police arrived within minutes. They searched the house to see if anyone was still here, but I'm sure they ran away as soon as they realized someone was home.

They told us that this is the third burglary in our area in the past 2 days, and they really want to get these guys. There hadn't been a break-in in over a year in our little city until now. A team came out to take fingerprints and they took me into each room to see if anything was missing or if there was anything that shouldn't be there. They were hoping the thieves might have dropped something, but they didn't.

I am so thankful that the thieves didn't harm our grandson and daughter-in-law. It's a horrible feeling to know that someone was in our home, looking through our things, taking whatever they wanted. I hope the police will be able to catch them soon.

My husband is repairing the broken door now. We've lost the feeling of safety and security we've always had in our home. I wish that could be repaired as easily as the door.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh, Kalona!!!!

I am so so sorry you are having to go thru this. And I pray that this won't hurt your DIL...

May God grant you peace and solace as you go thru this ordeal.

Rachel (your DCF "My Sharona" friend)

Therese said...

oh. Kalona. That is awful. It is an awful feeling when someone has been in your home. We had someone walk into our house in the middle of the night. They didn't take anything. I remember when Steve told me I got worried about Christopher. He was only a couple of weeks old. He was still in the bed thank goodness.

Praying for you and that justice will be done.

Kalona said...

Rachel and Therese, thank you for your comments, and especially for your prayers. The prayers of our friends and loved ones have given us a sense of peace.

X said...

Kalona- I am so sorry to hear this! I am thankful nobody was hurt, physically anyway. Prayers going up!

Kalona said...

Thank you, Angela. I truly appreciate your prayers.