Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Texas Family Weekend


What a grand weekend we had. Our oldest son, Jason, and his family arrived Friday night. They live about 3 hours away from us.

Saturday morning when I got up, I started making chocolate chip pancakes. The Grands always request them for breakfast when they are here. It's a family tradition. :o) While I fed the kids, Ron and Jason went out for breakfast, and then downtown to Penners where our son bought a whole new wardrobe. He and his beautiful wife have lost weight during the past year, and they both look wonderful.

I took Jason's children with me to visit my mom after they had breakfast. She was delighted to see them, and they had fun playing and running with her little cairn terrier. Mom has 7 great-grandchildren, and 2 more on the way.

The kids spent the afternoon in the pool, believe it or not. The weather here was warm over the weekend, and they can't wait to swim when they are here. They were exhausted that evening, and went to bed early, some of them slightly sunburned.

That evening Jason, Ron and I took our youngest grandson (our youngest son's two year old) to visit my mom. She had a lot of company that day.

On Sunday, our oldest son and I went to the Latin Mass. He enjoyed it as much as I do, and commented that it was refreshing to hear a real Catholic homily.

That afternoon Ron grilled chicken. All 3 of our kids, their spouses (except one) and our 5 grandkids were here, plus our daughter's best friend and her 2 little boys. It was a houseful, and we loved it! Kelly's friend brought a plate full of gyoza, and we devoured them before dinner. They were a perfect appetizer. My granddaughters, 8 and 5, helped me make apple dumplings for dessert.

Kelly brought her Dance, Dance Revolution game for the kids to play, and it was fun watching them try to keep up with the music.

Everyone left between 6 and 7 PM. Ron and Mom went to the 7 PM Mass at our parish church, and the house was incredibly still and quiet. I was tired, but happy to have had my family here, if only for a couple of days. Family is a gift from God.

No comments: